My great grandmother
25 Beatrix Hughes, daughter of Edward Walter Hughes and Jeanie Hawkins was born on 23 April 1884 in Ascot Vale, Victoria. She married Constantine Trent Champion de Crespigny in 1906. They had four children (see de Crespigny family index). She died on 11 November 1943 in Adelaide, South Australia.
- B is for Beatrix
- Trove Tuesday: obituary for Beatrix de Crespigny
- Wednesday Wedding : 11 September 1906 de Crespigny and Hughes
My great great grandparents
50 Edward Walter Hughes, son of Samuel Hughes and Sally Plaisted was born on 11 July 1854 in Noarlunga, South Australia. He died on 2 July 1922 in Brighton, Victoria. He married Jeanie Hawkins on 25 September 1883 in the Presbyterian Church, Dunolly, Victoria.
51 Jeanie Hawkins, daughter of Samuel Proudfoot Hawkins and Jeanie Hutcheson was born on 8 March 1862 in Melbourne, Victoria. She died on 1 September 1941 in East Melbourne, Victoria (of Hawksburn Road, South Yarra).
EW Hughes and Jeanie had four children
- Beatrix 1884-1943 see above
- Reginald (1886- 1971) born in Essendon, a suburb of Melbourne
- Vyvyan (1888-1916), born in Beaufort
- Cedric (1893-1953), born in Beaufort
My 3rd great grandparents
100 Samuel Hughes, son of Edward Hughes and Elizabeth Jones was born on 13 October 1827 in Liverpool, Merseyside, England. He died on 9 October 1896 in Maribyrnong Road, Moonee Ponds, Victoria, Australia. He married Sally Plaisted on 29 April 1851 in St Stephen’s Church, Willunga, South Australia.
101 Sally Plaisted, daughter of John Plaisted and Ann Green was born on 20 June 1826 in Newington, Kent, England. She died on 9 October 1900 in Maribyrnong Road, Moonee Ponds, Victoria, Australia.
Samuel and Sally had eight children:
- Annie Elizabeth 1852–1894
- Edward Walter 1854–1922
- John Plaisted 1856–1911
- Samuel Henry 1859–1879
- Marian 1861–1946
- Alice Maud 1864–1937
- Helena Lucy 1866–1932: Remembering Helena Gill drowned 10 July 1932 and The wreck of the “Casino”
- Hedley 1872–1946
102 Samuel Proudfoot Hawkins, son of Robert Hawkins and Penelope Carruthers was born on 30 April 1819 in Dumfries, Scotland. He died on 22 April 1867 in “Melville Forest”, Coleraine, Victoria, Australia. He married Jeanie Hutcheson on 21 March 1849 in Victoria.
- 52 ancestors: 1839 arrival in Australia of Samuel Proudfoot Hawkins (1819-1867)
- Trove Tuesday: Samuel Proudfoot Hawkins
- 180 years since the arrival of the “David Clark”
103 Jeanie Hutcheson, daughter of David Hutcheson and Isabella Taylor was born on 7 January 1824 in Aberargie, Perthshire, Scotland. She died on 7 July 1864 in Portland, Victoria (at her residence Hurd Street. Buried at the cemetery at Double Corner.). Jeanie and Samuel had 8 children:
- Isabella Hawkins 1849–1916
- Isabella Goldstein nee Hawkins 1849 – 1916
- She married Jacob Goldstein Y is for Yannasch They had 5 children including
- Vida Trove Tuesday: Vida Mary Jane Goldstein (1869 – 1949), V is for vivacious Vida on the vamp
- Selwyn P is for Poperinghe New Military Cemetery
- One of his daughters was a nurse in WW2 Sister Minnie Goldstein
- Penelope Bell Hawkins 1851–1898
- She married John Wightman Lawson and her son became Premier of Victoria Harry Lawson elected Victorian Premier March 1918, A visit to Parliament House in Melbourne, Trove Tuesday: MCG not available for 1956 Olympics
- Robert James Hawkins 1853–1854
- Robert James Hawkins 1854–1893
- Georgina Hawkins 1856–1944
- David Hawkins 1858–1922
- Janet “Jessie” Hawkins 1860–1944
- Jeanie Hawkins 1862–1941 (see above)
My 4th great grandparents
200 Edward Hughes, son of Edward Hughes was born on 17 Jan 1803 in Flintshire, Wales. He died in 1876 in Croydon, nr London, England. He married Elizabeth Jones in 1823.
201 Elizabeth Jones was born on 22 September 1798 in Cardiganshire, Wales. She died on 10 July 1865 in Brighton, Victoria.
They had eight children:
- Mary Hughes 1826–died young
- Samuel Hughes 1827–1896 (see above)
- Mary Niney Hughes 1829–1906
- John Hughes 1832–1833
- Goodman Edward Jones Hughes 1834–1847 : The unfortunate death of Goodman Hughes
- Elizabeth Humphreys Hughes 1836–1838
- Henry Hughes 1838–1907
- Eliza Hughes 1840–1841
202 John Plaisted, son of Thomas John Plaisted and Lydia Wilks was born on 7 April 1800 in Surrey, England. He died on 4 May 1858 in 100 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. He married Ann Green on 13 August 1825 in Islington, Middlesex, England.
203 Ann Green, daughter of Charles Green and Sarah Young was born on 30 June 1801 in St Mary, Hendon, Middlesex, England. She died on 10 August 1882 in Essendon, Victoria, Australia.
204 Robert Hawkins was born in 1770 in Ecclefechan, Dumfries-shire, Scotland. He died on 26 March 1841 in Patricroft, Lancashire, England. He married Penelope Carruthers.
205 Penelope Carruthers was born about 1765 in Dumfrieshire, Scotland. She died in 1845 in Berkshire, United Kingdom.
206 David Hutcheson. He died in 1828 in Tasmania. He married Isabella Taylor.
207 Isabella Taylor, daughter of George Taylor and Mary Low was born in 1794 in Abernethy, Perthshire, Scotland. She died on 2 June 1876 in Coleraine, Victoria.
My 5th great grandparents
400 Edward Hughes.
404 Thomas John Plaisted, son of John Plasted and Ann was born on 14 Oct 1777 in Shoreditch, Middlesex, England. He died on 30 May 1832 in Deptford St Paul, Kent, England. He married Lydia Wilks on 10 July 1797 in London, England (St Bride Fleet Street).
405 Lydia Wilks, daughter of Thomas Wilks and Lydia was born in 1771 in Kent, England. She died on 30 April 1861 in London, United Kingdom (4 Monmouth Place, New Cross).
- Their daughter Tabitha: Tabitha Plaisted 1806 – 1891
406 Charles Green, son of Benjamin Green and Ann was born on 12 May 1771 in London, England. He married Sarah Young.
407 Sarah Young.
414 George Taylor, son of Robert Taylor and Christian Miller was born about 1758 in Perthshire, Scotland. He died on 19 April 1828 in Campbell Town, Tasmania, Australia. He married Mary Low on 24 March 1791 in Abernethy, Perthshire, Scotland.
415 Mary Low was born in 1765 in Abernethy, Perthshire, Scotland. She died on 30 July 1850 in Tasmania.
George and Mary had 8 children including: