My de Crespigny forebears from England
My fourth great grandparents
192 Charles Fox Champion Crespigny, son of Philip Champion Crespigny and Dorothy Scott was born on 30 August 1785 in Hintlesham Hall, Hintlesham, Suffolk, England. He died on 4 March 1875 in 11 Royal Parade, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England.
He married Eliza Julia Trent on 20 March 1813 in St. George Hanover Square, London, England (with consent of her mother Eliza Branthwayt nee Phipps formerly Trent).
193 Eliza Julia Trent, daughter of John Trent and Elizabeth Phipps was born in 1797 in Clifton, Somerset, England. She died on 17 July 1855 in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.
They had the following five children:
- Charles John Champion Crespigny 1814–1880
- George Blicke Champion de Crespigny 1815–1893
- Philip Robert Champion Crespigny 1817–1889 (see de Crespigny family index
- Julia Eliza Champion Crespigny 1819–1848
- Eliza Constantia Frances Champion Crespigny 1825–1898
Charles Fox Champion Crespigny was also the father of Emily Crespigny Hindes 1813–1891
My fifth great grandparents
384 Philip Champion Crespigny, son of Philip Champion de Crespigny and Anne Fonnereau was born on 1 April 1738 in Pauls, London, England. He died on 1 January 1803 in Bath, Somerset, England.
- Philip Champion de Crespigny (1738 – 1803)
- I is for Ipswich: Hintlesham Hall and the Crespigny family
- K is for Kherson, death place of John Howard prison reformer
Philip married four times :
- On 24 November 1762 Philip married Sarah Cocksedge in Norfolk. They had four children. Sarah died in 1768.
- Philip secondly married Betsy Hodges about 1771. They had one son. Betsy died in 1772.
- Philip thirdly married Clarissa Brook in 1774. They had four children. Clarissa died in 1782.
- Philip married my 5th great grandmother Dorothy Scott on 20 January 1783 in Salop. They had four children.
385 Dorothy Scott, daughter of Richard Scott and Elizabeth Gough was born on 15 November 1765 in Bettons Strange, Shropshire, England. She died on 5 July 1837 in Upton Upon Severn, Worcestershire, England.
Of Philip’s thirteen children I have written about the following:
- Philip (1765-1851), son of Sarah. Philip de Crespigny in the French Revolution
- Maria (1776-1858) daughter of Clarissa. Maria Champion Crespigny born 1776 married John Horsley I have also written a second post about Maria’s husband John Horsley: The 1828 census: John Horsley
- Fanny (1779-1865) daughter of Clarissa. Fanny Champion Crespigny 1779 -1865
- George (1783-1813) son of Dorothy. D is for Durham Light Infantry
- Eliza (1784-1831) daughter of Dorothy. G is for Gretna Green
- Charles Fox (1785-1875) son of Dorothy and my fourth great grandfather was at Cambridge as were several family members. Champion de Crespignys at Cambridge from the earliest times to 1900
The parents of Eliza Trent who married Charles Fox Champion de Crespigny:
386 John Trent, son of John Trent and Mary Charlotte Phipps was born in 1770. He died on 6 August 1796 in Dillington Hall, Ilminster, Somerset.
John married Elizabeth Phipps on 14 December 1792 in St Marylebone, London, England.
387 Elizabeth Phipps, daughter of Constantine Phipps and Elizabeth Tierney was born on 7 April 1774 in Exeter, Devonshire, England. She died on 10 April 1836.
- C is for caught in Caen during the Reign of Terror
- P is for Penelope concerns Elizabeth’s sister Penelope
My sixth great grandparents
768 Philip Champion Crespigny, son of Thomas Champion Crespigny and Magdelaine Grainger was born on 3 December 1703 in London, England. He died on 11 February 1865 at Champion Lodge, Camberwell, Surrey, England.
Philip married Anne Fonnereau on 5 February 1731 at St Paul’s Cathedral, London.
769 Anne Fonnereau, daughter of Claude Fonnereau and Elizabeth Bureau was born on 12 October 1704 at St Paul’s, London. She died 3 September 1782 at Marylebone, London.
Philip and Anne had seven children:
- Jane Champion_Crespigny 1733– died young
- Claude Champion_de_Crespigny 1734–1818. Claude was the first baronet. For Claude and his descendants see the de Crespigny baronet family index page.
- Susan Champion_Crespigny 1735–1766
- Anne Champion_Crespigny 1736–1738
- Philip Champion_Crespigny 1738–1803 (my 5th great grandfather – see above)
- Anne Champion_Crespigny 1739–1797 The marriages of Anne Champion Crespigny (1739-1797)
- Jane Champion_Crespigny 1742–1829
My seventh great grandparents
1536 Thomas Champion Crespigny, son of Claude Champion Crespigny and Marie de Vierville was born about 1644 in France. He died in January 1712 in London and was buried at St Marylebone.
Thomas married Magdelaine Granger on 12 February 1695 at St Mary Magdalen, Old Fish Street, London.
1537 Magdelaine Grainger was born about 1665 to Israel Grainger and Mary. She died May 1730 in London.
My eighth great grandparents
3072 Claude Champion Crespigny was born 1620 at Crespigny near St Jean-le-Blanc near Aulnay, Normandy to Richard Champion and Marguerite Richard. He died 10 April 1695 in London and was buried at St Marylebone.
He married Marie de Vierville on 9 June 1651 at Bayeaux, Normandy.
3073 Marie de Vierville was born about 1628 to Pierre de Vierville and Judith Gascoigne. She died 1708 in London and is buried at St Marylebone.
Claude and Marie had eight children: