My great great grandmother
55 Ellen Jane Mainwaring, daughter of Gordon Mainwaring and Mary Hickey was born on 15 July 1845 in Adelaide, South Australia. She died on 1 July 1920 in Southsea, Hampshire, England. She married Wentworth Cavenagh on 16 February 1865 in Adelaide, South Australia. After my great great grandmother Ellen Jane Cavenagh-Mainwaring, formerly Cavenagh, née Mainwaring, inherited the family property of Whitmore in Staffordshire in 1891, the family surname was changed to assume the name and arms of Mainwaring in addition to Cavenagh in acknowledgement of the inheritance.
- E is for Eden Park, home of Wentworth Cavenagh
- A shipboard romance aboard the SS Ballaarat
- N is for Naval husbands
- A Christmas Gift
My 3rd great grandparents
110 Gordon Mainwaring, son of Rowland Mainwaring and Sophia Henrietta Duff was born in 1817 in Bath, Somerset, England. He died on 21 December 1872 in London, England. He married Mary Hickey on 5 July 1843 in St John’s C of E, Adelaide, South Australia.
111 Mary Hickey, daughter of Michael Hickey was born in 1819 in Limerick, Ireland. She died in 1890 in London, England.
My 4th great grandparents
220 Rowland Mainwaring, son of Rowland Mainwaring and Jane Latham was born on 31 December 1783 in London, Middlesex, England. He died on 11 April 1862 in Whitmore, Staffordshire. He married Sophia Henrietta Duff on 31 December 1810 in Stoke Damerel, Devon, England (Lieutenant HMS Narcissus).
221 Sophia Henrietta Duff. She was the daughter of William Duff. She died on 11 Oct 1824.
Rowland Mainwaring married three times and had seventeen children
Sophia Henrietta Duff 1790–1824
- Rowland Mainwaring 1811–1826
- Edward Pellew Mainwaring 1815–1858
- Sophia Henrietta Mainwaring 1815–1871
- Gordon Mainwaring 1817–1872 (see above my 3rd great grandfather)
- Paulina Mary Mainwaring 1818–1825
- Charles Henry Mainwaring 1819–1878. Father of Gerald Mainwaring (sixth son) : Gerald Mainwaring (1854 – ? )
- William Arthur Mainwaring 1822–1854
- George Mainwaring 1824–1850
Mary Anne Clark –1835
- Mary Anne Mainwaring 1828–1865
Laura Maria Julia Walburga Chevillard 1811–1891
- Karl Heinrich August Mainwaring 1837–1906 X is for destruction of a piratical fleet near Xiānggǎng (Hong Kong)
- Randolph Mainwaring 1839–1902
- Eugene George Henri Mainwaring 1841–1911
- Laura Chevillard Mainwaring 1843–1843
- Frederic Mainwaring 1844–1922
- Guy Mainwaring 1847–1909 D is for Dartmouth: Guy Mainwaring and the beagle pack ; Trove Tuesday: Cricket and the Duke of Edinburgh’s visit in 1867
- Horatio Mainwaring 1848–1913
- Algernon Mainwaring 1852–1926
Fifth great grandparents
440 Rowland Mainwaring, son of Edward Mainwaring and Sarah Bunbury was born in 1745 in Four Oaks, Warwickshire, England. He died in 1817. He married Jane Latham on 10 December 1780.
441 Jane Latham. She was the daughter of Captain Latham, RN. She died on 23 November 1809.
442 William Duff, the father of Sophia Mainwaring née Duff.
443 Dorothy Tobin née Skelly formerly Duff (abt 1768-1840), the mother of Sophia Mainwaring née Duff. Dorothy Skelly’s father Gordon Skelly died at sea in 1771 : Deaths at sea, Remembering Captain Gordon Skelly
Sixth great grandparents
880 Edward Mainwaring (1709-1795) J is for Jacobite rebellion
881 Sarah Bunbury ( -1798)
Further generations back to William the Conqueror
Other Mainwaring relatives
- Gerald Mainwaring was my 1st cousin four times removed: Gerald Mainwaring (1854 – ? )
- Henry Germain Mainwaring (1853-1922), my second cousin four times removed: Z is for Zulu War
- Henry Mainwaring, my third cousin eleven times removed : A pirate in the family tree
- Henry Mainwaring the fourth baronet is my seventh cousin seven times removed : A confusion of Sir Henry Mainwarings
- Jemmett Mainwaring (1763 – 1800), my 1st cousin 7 times removed: Jemmett Mainwaring and the start of a Mainwaring naval tradition – part 1