Arthur Murray Cudmore was appointed to the Australian Imperial Force as an officer in April 1915. At the same time his daughter’s future father-in-law, Constantine Trent Champion de Crespigny was also appointed. Arthur’s brother in law Wentworth Cavenagh-Mainwaring had joined the Australian Army Medical Corps in August 1914.

National Archives of Australia: Australian Imperial Force, Base Records Office; B2455, First Australian Imperial Force Personnel Dossiers, 1914-1920; Cudmore Arthur Murray : SERN Lieutenant Colonel : POB Paringa SA : POE N/A : NOK W Cudmore Kathleen Mary. Page 1

18 May 1915 Crowds of well-wishers farewell Australian Army Medical Corps (AAMC) personnel who have just embarked on the transport HMT Mooltan at Port Melbourne railway pier. Australian War Memorial image id C01009 retrieved from
Arthur Murray Cudmore with Trent de Crespigny [centre] & Bronte Smeaton [left] in 1915 at sea. Picture from my grandmother Kathleen née Cudmore’s scrapbook. (Kathleen later married the son of Constantine Trent Champion de Crespigny.)
Arthur Murray Cudmore with Wentworth Cavenagh-Mainwaring at Gallipoli. Wentworth Cavenagh-Mainwaring was his brother-in-law and also a doctor. I don’t know who the seated man is.

Three medical officers of the Australian Army Medical Corps. Identified from left to right: Major H Harris of Sydney, Lieutenant Colonel A M Cudmore of Adelaide, and Colonel Sir A McCormick. Photographed at Lemnos abt 1915. Unknown photographer. Australian War Memorial collection id A01523 retrieved from

From 25 October 1915 on Lemnos Cudmore suffered from paratyphoid fever and bronchitis. He was admitted to the 3rd Australian General Hospital at Mudros on 6 November 1915. He was transferred to Alexandria in December 1915.

On 3 January 1916 embarked “Ulysses” for Australia and discharged as permanently unfit. The signature of the Officer in medical charge of the case, Officer in charge of Hospital, and President of the Medical Board was C. Trent Ch. de Crespigny Lt. Col..

HMAT Ulysses leaving Melbourne with troops in March 1916 just after returning to Australia with Arthur Murray Cudmore. Australian War Memorial image id PB1095 retrieved from

Cudmore was re appointed to the AIF on 25 June 1918 as Lieutenant Colonel and embarked 6 August 1918 on the SS “Gaika” from Adelaide for the UK. He arrived London 13 October 1918. He returned to Australia on 16 March 1919 on the “Czaritza” transferring to the “Dunluce Castle” arriving 13 May 1919.

page 31 of World War I personal dossier

His commission was terminated in June 1919 owing to the cessation of hostilities.